Danail Dimitrov Kirilov was appointed Minister of Justice of the Republic of Bulgaria on 5 April 2019.
Danail Dimitrov Kirilov was born on 25 June 1970 in Dimitrovgrad. He graduated in law from Sofia University St. Kliment Ohridski.
He was elected a Member of the 44th National Assembly from the Political Party Citizens for a European Development of Bulgaria (GERB) for the 23rd election district in Sofia in the parliamentary elections in 2017.
He chairs the Legal Affairs Committee of the 44th National Assembly.
From October 2014 to January 2017, he is a Member of Parliament at the 43rd National Assembly and Chairman of the Legal Affairs Committee
Danail Kirilov was also a Member of the 42nd National Assembly.
In the period from August 2009 until May 2013, he was the Regional Governor for Sofia Region.
He is fluent in English and Russian.
Based on the Constitution of the Republic of Bulgaria and in compliance with the laws, the Minister:
- Realizes the interaction between the judiciary and the executive;
- Manages the activities on the development of draft laws and regulations related to the judicial system and the activities within his/her powers, as well as on the preparation of opinions on draft laws and regulations, developed by other central bodies of the executive;
- Participates in the organization of the qualification of judges, prosecutors and investigating magistrates;
- Manages the property of the judiciary;
- Proposes a draft Budget of the judiciary and submits it for discussion at the Supreme Judicial Council;
- Carries out direction and control over the activity of guarding the bodies of the judiciary;
- Carries out activities related to the state and private bailiffs, with notaries, registry judges and liquidators;
- Manages the activity on preparation of draft international treaties in the field of law and controls their implementation;
- Represents the Republic of Bulgaria at the meetings of the Council of the European Union in the form “Justice and Internal Affairs”, in the part “Justice”;
- Manages and controls the preparation of materials within his/her competency, which are presented before the institutions of the European Union;
- Coordinates the activities of all bodies and institutions in the Republic of Bulgaria on the matters related to the Cooperation and Valuation Mechanism;
- Carries out a dialogue with the European Commission, ministers, bodies and institutions of the Member States etc. under the Cooperation and Valuation Mechanism through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
- Manages the Intradepartmental coordination team for implementation of the benchmarks, set with Decision of the European Commission dated 13 December 2006 on the implementation of the Cooperation and Valuation Mechanism, as well as the recommendations in the regular reports of the European Commission regarding the progress of the Republic of Bulgaria under the Cooperation and Valuation Mechanism;
- Manages and controls the activities on conducting the European Commission’s expert missions for assessing the progress of the country;
- Manages the activities on preparing and tabling of draft acts to the Council of Ministers, which adopt measures on national level necessary for the implemenation and application of acts of the European Union within his/her competence;
- Carries out international legal cooperation and international legal aid on matters within his/her competence;
- Gives opinion, expresses assent, respectively dissent, on behalf of the Republic of Bulgaria, when requested, for accepting other States for members of international bodies and organizations or accession of other States to international acts, when the Ministry of Justice is indicated as a central authority pursuant to the statutes of the international bodies or organizations, or pursuant to the regulations of international acts;
- Determines the criteria and the procedure for election of candidates for a judge at the European Court of Human Rights in accordance with Art. 21 and 23 of the Convention on the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms and organizes its implementation; the announcement for conducting the election is promulgated in the non-official part of the State Gazette;
- Organizes and conducts the procedure for election of a candidate for a judge at the Court of Justice and at the General Court in accordance with Resolution No 214 of the Council of Ministers of 2010 for creating a procedure for conducting an election of a candidate for a judge at the Court of Justice of the European Union and the General Court (prom., SG, issue 76 of 2010; amended and supplemented, issue 13 of 2011; revised, issue 15 of 2011);
- Manages the activities related to international adoption under the Family Code and carries out the functions assigned to the Ministry as a Central Authority under international conventions in the area of international adoptions and protection of children;
- Carries out joint management and control over the activities on the execution of punishments;
- Creates and transforms the places for deprivation of liberty – prisons, correctional homes, prison dormitories and arrests;
- Manages and controls the investment activity at the Ministry and the judicial system;
- Develops, coordinates and carries out state policy in the field of legal aid;
- Exercises the powers, which he/she is assigned in the Special Pledges Act;
- Exercises the powers, which he/she was assigned in the Non-Profit Legal Entities Act;
- Exercises the powers, which he/she was assigned in the Mediation Act as he/she maintains and keeps the Unified Register of Mediators;
- Exercises the powers, which he/she was assigned in the Bulgarian Citizenship Act (BCA);
- Exercises the powers, he/she was assigned in the State Seal and National Flag of the Republic of Bulgaria Act;
- Exercises the powers, which he/she was assigned in the Cadastre and Property Register Act;
- Determines the objectives of the Ministry, introduces a system for risk identification for attaining the objectives and implements adequate and effective systems for financial management and control in accordance with the Financial Management and Control in the Public Sector Act;
- Manages the activities on the defense and mobilization preparation and protection in the event of a disaster, approves and exercises control on the development of work plans in time of war and protection in the event of disaster at the Ministry;
- Creates working groups for preparation of draft acts or for proposition of solutions to a specific problem, which is within his/her powers;
- Approves rules for the administrative activity and the document turnover at the Ministry;
- Executes other functions determined by a law or a resolution of the Council of Ministers.